At Balga Senior High School, we are an inclusive program for years 7 – 12 that maximises learning for all. We endeavour to provide a program that enables individual students to reach their full potential.
This is done through:
- Differentiated curriculum
- Individual/Group learning plans
- Learning support programs
We have built excellent relationship and have access to a team of professionals that assist in supporting students with their learning journey. These include:
- School Psychologist
- Agency – including Ability Centre, Mission Australia, Therapy Focus
- Learning Support Teachers and Educational Assistants
- Differentiated Classroom Programs.
- Teachers develop and implement programs that are tailored to individual needs.
- We use a variety of activities together with explicit teaching to engage and enrich students.
- Through a range of assessments, we are able to identify strengths and where a student may require support.
- Student Individual Learning Plans.
- Teachers together with parents, set educational, emotional and social goals for students to achieve and work through the strategies at home and at school.
- Additional Curriculum Activities engaging initiatives.
- We provide opportunities for our students to gain valuable skills to help them prepare for life after school by developing self-esteem, communication skills and confidence.
- Work placement opportunities at a variety of local and National businesses. At times these placements lead to part time work and in some cases full time work after school.
- Balga Senior High School coffee shop runs two mornings a week where we have cross curriculum opportunities in Maths, Literacy and Business Enterprise. Students prepare and serve food and drinks as well as engage with customers.
Implementing more hands on based lessons in Science, HaSS and Mathematics to increase engagement.
Increasing the variety of option subjects to engage students in new subjects such as gardening, outdoor education, Music and sport programs. We will also be looking at direct instruction through Macqlit to increase literacy skills.